[Xastir] Re: xastir: unable to open image `': No such file or directory.

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Wed Feb 2 13:50:13 EST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Ryan Tourge wrote:

> Well I got it going... Two seperate fixes for this one... to solve the
> problem of loading local maps I just reisntalled and grabbed the
> latest from the cvs. To fix the Tiger maps not loading I adjusted the
> Timeout under Gonfigure Tigermaps to 60 seconds.

I usually run it with the max. The server really gets SLOW sometimes.

> Must be with map caching it takes a little longer to get the map the
> first time then if you where not using caching. Does this sound right?

Not so much. The caching gets done after the map is down to the computer.
The code is pretty simplistic - previously, the map was saved to
/tmp/something and was used just that once. The caching code simply
saves it to a different directory, and, rather than deleting the current
map when you get the next one, leaves the current one hanging around
and saves a pointer to it in a berkeley db file. The amount of time
to get the maps the first time should be exactly the same. The second
time should be much faster, of course, since you're getting it locally,
rather than requesting it from the tiger server across the net.

I have noticed a fair amount of differences in the time it takes to get
maps, depending on when I'm trying to get them. Thanksgiving day, for
example, things were pretty quick. During the middle of the day in the
middle of a normal week is much slower. There is a debug message
(DEBUG=512, IIRC) that shows how much time it takes to make a query
for a map. That time should be <5 seconds (I usually see 0 or 1) for
cached maps, and, well.. less than 180 seconds for getting things over
the net. The larger the view and the more "things" on the view, the longer
the query takes.

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org