[Xastir] Own Weather Reports

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 5 20:30:33 EST 2005

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Clay Jackson wrote:

> I'm having some problems wWeather reports.  I've got a Davis WMII,
> w/meteo capturing the data, and db2APRS sending the data from a
> different system to Xastir.  I've hacked db2APRS a bit, to make it
> conform to the APRS 1.1 spec for positionless weather data -  so, it's
> sending packets that look like this:
>
> _0205101900c161s001g005t040r000p009P008h88b10225xDvs

I should have thought about this from some of your earlier messages
about it:  Positionless weather is considered to be an abomination
by a lot of people.  I think it was added to the spec merely because
one of the weather stations was able to put out that format
directly.  Most people that have commented on this have suggested
that some other weather format be used normally that includes the
position of the weather station along with each packet.  That way
you don't have to combine posits with WX packets in order to have a
complete picture.

> According to the spec r000 is rain in the last hour, p009 is rain in the
> last 24 hours and P008 is rain since midnite.  HOWEVER, Xastir is
> reporting total rain of 0.09 and 0.00 for the other rain values.  The
> other data points (wind, temp, humidity) all look OK.

Xastir calculates this stuff itself as I recall.  I've been into
that code more than once, and rewrote part of it, but it's been long
enough that I don't remember all the details anymore.  As I recall
though Xastir ignores the values for 24-hours and since-midnight
that are sent by the weather station and computes them itself.  If
you haven't run Xastir connected to the WX station that long, the
values won't match the values that the WX station might be telling
you.

> Also, I'm not seeing anything in the Dew Point, High Wind, Wind
> Chill/Heat Index and Hi and Low Temps - is Xastir expecting those from
> the Weather Station, or calculating them?

I'd have to go look at the code.  I think most things come from the
weather station, but of course most things aren't put out by most
weather stations, so they don't ever get filled in.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer