[Xastir] Google maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Feb 8 18:14:03 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:17:45AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, N1OFZ wrote:
>
> > Anyone take a look at Google's map offerings?  I can't believe how fast
> > it is to load.  Being able to drag around with the hand tool is cool
> > too.  Anything to learn from them?
>
> Once they get some terms of use out there and we can peruse them, we
> might be able to use them as another online map source.  It wouldn't
> be a good idea to start on that project until we see what their
> terms might be.
>
> Not sure if we could learn anything from their interface that could
> be applied to Xastir.  Perhaps.

Well, in its current incarnation most of the functionality of the pages
is hidden inside javascript (spot the peeve), and there's no obvious way to
extract just a map image.  I would expect that at some point they'll publish
an API that can be used, since they've done that for their other products.

I have been impressed at the quality of the maps so far, and they would be
useful.  Since they're *intended* to be used as accurate street-level maps,
they beat the pants off the TIGER maps, fer sher, fer sher.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."