[Xastir] Google maps

Hurt, Gerald gerald.hurt at Intrado.com
Wed Feb 9 00:06:39 EST 2005

Curt this is something I'd mentioned a year or so ago, nice to see
someone using it! Too bad I'm finding some decent errors in their data
for my area... :-)

It would be nice to be able to pan using this same method in Xastir, I
bet it could cut down on the overhead when panning around due to the map
already having some information displayed.

Cheers!
Jay
73 de N0XVB

-----Original Message-----
From: xastir-bounces at xastir.org [mailto:xastir-bounces at xastir.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Russo
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 16:14
To: Curt, WE7U
Cc: xastir List
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Google maps

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:17:45AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, N1OFZ wrote:
>
> > Anyone take a look at Google's map offerings?  I can't believe how
> > fast it is to load.  Being able to drag around with the hand tool is

> > cool too.  Anything to learn from them?
>
> Once they get some terms of use out there and we can peruse them, we
> might be able to use them as another online map source.  It wouldn't
> be a good idea to start on that project until we see what their terms
> might be.
>
> Not sure if we could learn anything from their interface that could be

> applied to Xastir.  Perhaps.

Well, in its current incarnation most of the functionality of the pages
is hidden inside javascript (spot the peeve), and there's no obvious way
to extract just a map image.  I would expect that at some point they'll
publish an API that can be used, since they've done that for their other
products.

I have been impressed at the quality of the maps so far, and they would
be useful.  Since they're *intended* to be used as accurate street-level
maps, they beat the pants off the TIGER maps, fer sher, fer sher.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY     SAR502  DM64ux
http://www.swcp.com/~russo/