[Xastir] Google maps

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 9 00:13:16 EST 2005

There's been a lot of discussion on the Mapserver list.  The approach
they're using is to have a LOT fo prerendered map tiles and select the
right tile for the job.  Between Inktomi and Akamai... and Google's own
resources, they can push a lot of maps out pretty fast, AND for all of
us hitting 'em they're NOT being hit hard -- yet.

The Web-Based-Mapping folks who are really sharp seem less than
impressed, although the user interface appears slick and has caught
their eye.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173