[Xastir] Re: Weather Alerts (James Ewen)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 9 11:42:15 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, KK6RW wrote:

> I too am trying to get the weather alerts working but I've been
> unsuccessful. I have put the shapefiles in the
> /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties directory. I'll try copying the files to
> the maps directory, then reindexing.

That last is only a test to make sure that the map files themselves
are correct, and that Xastir can understand them.  It won't help you
directly to get the weather alerts working.

So far I'm seeing a trend:  Three or four people have reported that
weather alerts aren't working for them.  If it was only one person,
it would be a configuration or training issue to resolve.  ;-)
Really, that's how we have to look at it most of the time, it's
probably not a real problem in the code unless it is totally
obvious, or more than one person is reporting it.

You might take a run through your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file
to see if any directory entries in there are corrupted or incorrect.
One thing I can try here is to take one of my three users, rename
the .xastir directory to something else, then start up Xastir and
see if I can get weather alerts working with a default
configuration.

Here's what I have containing "share" in my xastir.cnf file.  See if
yours are similar.  Pay particular attention to case:

  > grep share xastir.cnf
  AUTO_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/maps
  ALERT_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/Counties
  SELECTED_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/maps
  SYMBOLS_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols
  SOUND_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/sounds
  GNIS_FILE:/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/WA.gnis
  GEOCODE_FILE:/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/WA.geocode