[Xastir] libdb for cacheing

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Feb 11 07:25:00 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:18:48AM -0800, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Tim Connolly wrote:
>
> >             I just downloaded the latest xastir (Debian 3.0) and am trying
> > to get all the extras compiled in. I'm trying to find libdb (for tigermap
> > cacheing). Is this the right one?
> >
> > http://freshmeat.net/projects/berkeleydb/
>
> Anyone running Debian that can help this guy?

I thought I had answered his question, but I had reconfigured Postfix
and my outgoing mail for a couple of days seems to have disappeared (I
switched back to Exim, which is more familiar to me).

IMHO, the easiest way would be to install a Debian package.  According
to <http://www.apt-get.org>, libdb4 has been backported to Debian 3.0
(the backporter is a Debian developer, so it should be safe).  You could
also try the packages from testing or unstable, but those might not find
the correct depends (building from the debian src package would probably
work, however).

To get the backport, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free

Then run 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get install libdb4.2 libdb4.2-dev'
and you should be in business.

It looks like Debian 3.1, which will have libdb4, should be out fairly
soon, but it will soon be obsolete with the release rate that Debian has
experienced over the past few years.  I now prefer Ubuntu or Libranet,
both of which are Debian-based and much more up-to-date (Ubuntu
schedules a release every six months and Libranet will probably have a
new version within the next month).

73, Bob N7XY