[Xastir] xastir on a bootable/runable CD?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Feb 11 10:53:29 EST 2005

On Feb 11, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:

> Another option is to "serve" the APRS data and JavAPRS from a simple
> web server via WiFi.

Good idea but it won't work for my needs, as stations are in separate
mobile chase units, frequently miles apart.

I also checked the javAPRS web page and couldn't find reference to
shapefile support - only aprsDOS, gif, and TIGER (online maps generated
by the census server, it appears?).

The DOS maps may be small and fast, but they're pretty well useless for
finding a balloon on the ground in unknown territory (and it always
is...)  xastir gives me the detail I need to get the job done.

I looked at AFU previously, but couldn't get very far as my "German for
reading" I took nearly 20 years ago has evaporated entirely.  Maybe I
should look harder for an English version?  Haven't tried MEPIS yet,
but I'll check it out.

thanks,
Jason
kg4wsv