[Xastir] Map Installation Help

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 20 01:18:14 EST 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Keith Leite, AA1JF wrote:

> I just recently downloaded Xastir 1.4.2 and got the system up and running
> via the internet and I can login and see alot
> of APRS nodes in my area (Taunton, MA), but I don't see a map showing up in
> the background.
>
> I guess some of my questions would be :
>
> What are the "best" maps to use ?

Answers vary depending on who you ask.

If you want local maps, you have dosAPRS, WinAPRS, and PocketAPRS
map capability built-in to Xastir without any additional libraries
being needed.

Many of us prefer to compile in Shapelib support, then can use
Tiger/Line maps that have been converted to Shapefiles.  That's my
personal preference for street maps.

If you've got ImageMagick and either libcurl or wget installed, you
can use the online Tigermaps, Topomaps, Terraserver maps.

> Is there a website on "Howto install maps onto Xastir" ? I checked the
> README.MAPS but kinda got lost

I think README.MAPS and INSTALL are probably your best bets.  Feel
free to ask questions here too, that's what the mailing list is for.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer