[Xastir] YAFRODU

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Mon Feb 21 12:49:46 EST 2005

At 10:57 AM 2/21/2005, you wrote:

>On Feb 21, 2005, at 8:59 AM, John Kraus wrote:
>
>>Yes this is one of the most frustrating things about Xastir.  I have a
>>system running now and seldom use it due to the incredible amount of time
>>needed to get a working set of maps for OFFLINE use.
>
>If you compile nothing but the basic xastir you get APRSDOS map
>support.  IIRC, this doesn't even require imagemagick.    This should be
>easy, if you have development tools loaded on your system.
>
>I guess my point is, don't get overwhelmed by all the choices.  Look at
>what maps you want to use, then add support for those maps.  The READMEs
>tell you which packages you need for which types of maps, and contain
>pointers to information about those packages to help you get them installed.
>
>-Jason
>kg4wsv

You missed my point.  Xastir has no actual maps in the basic install unless
you have an internet connection.  I think this is a bad idea simply because
it frustrates the new user and steepens the learning curve.  I see no
reason that the existing DOS maps could not be included in the sourceforge
archive. At least the minimal world, usa, state maps.  This would give the
new user some reference to see if he is in the right position.

The first time I installed Xastir I goofed entering my LAT/LONG and was
actually looking at a point in the Indian ocean.  I spent three weeks
trying to get Tiger maps working before giving up for six months. I found
the error the next time I installed it. This could have been avoided with
default installation maps.

I say: "give every new installation a minimal set of basic maps that are
active by default from the first program startup".  Then we can help the
new user expand from there.