[Xastir] YAFRODU

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Feb 22 08:53:35 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:36:21AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, John Kraus wrote:
>
> > This is why I think the DosAPRS maps should be first choice.
> >
> > Created by hams for hams no license issues at all.
> >
> > Very compact and fast so no real overhead on downloads or lightweight
> > hardware.
> >
> > Tools exist to modify these maps to any reasonable level of precision needed
> > for basic operations.
> >
> > The hard part is getting someone to include them in the distribution on
> > Sourceforge.
>
> Naw, that's the easy part.
>
> The hard part is finding some that have no restrictions/copyright
> problems.
>
> If someone can find such maps that are in dosAPRS/WinAPRS/PocketAPRS
> format that are ok for us to use and don't add much to our .tgz
> size, we could add them to the distribution.  Actually it might be
> better to not add them to the .tgz but to create a separate download
> for them.  They could be added into CVS though.

I would think it better to add a separate download for them, as is done for
the "xastir-sounds" files.  Some folks will not want the APRSdos maps at all
--- in fact, I would find them an unwelcome waste of space.  They shouldn't
be part of the source download itself.

On the other hand, making it easy for a new user to go to one place to
grab source, sounds, and some primitive maps would be a Very Good Thing.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."