[Xastir] Basic Maps for Xastir

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 13:36:13 EST 2005

Sorry for the repeat Tom I forgot to CC the list

At 08:53 AM 2/22/2005, you wrote:

> > If someone can find such maps that are in dosAPRS/WinAPRS/PocketAPRS
> > format that are ok for us to use and don't add much to our .tgz
> > size, we could add them to the distribution.  Actually it might be
> > better to not add them to the .tgz but to create a separate download
> > for them.  They could be added into CVS though.
>
>I would think it better to add a separate download for them, as is done for
>the "xastir-sounds" files.  Some folks will not want the APRSdos maps at all
>--- in fact, I would find them an unwelcome waste of space.  They shouldn't
>be part of the source download itself.
>
>On the other hand, making it easy for a new user to go to one place to
>grab source, sounds, and some primitive maps would be a Very Good Thing.

I must respectfully disagree with the idea of a separate package for two
main reasons.

1:

The Dos maps are small compared to many alternatives.  The entire world
coverage set that comes with APRSdos872 is only 217 kb when compressed and
389 kb expanded.  Both would fit on a single floppy disk.  These maps
provide the most bang for the space buck that I have seen. While nowhere
near precise enough for navigation they are plenty good enough for casual use.

2:

The goal of my vision is to reduce to the absolute minimum the difficulty
the new user has in achieving a basic working system.  I would think it
would be child's play for an experienced user to delete unwanted maps.
However, the reverse is not true for the first time user who is often
trying both Linux and Xastir for the first time.  It can be very
frustrating to try to learn many new things at the same time and it is not
necessary.  I ask you to bear in mind the adage that first impressions are
often the most important.

I have asked Bob to comment on the license question and will forward his
answer when I get it.

Please note changed subject.