[Xastir] Basic Maps for Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 22 15:49:39 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Dan Brown wrote:

> Am not sure this is all relevant, but...  here's a couple links I found
> while digging around recently - possible things to add to the README.maps
> file.
>
> Tiger 2 APRS converter - looks dated, however:
>
> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~alan/ham/aprs/
> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~alan/ham/aprs/tig2aprs.html

Alan Croswell in NY area.  One of our Xastir users.  Maybe he'll
pipe up about it here on the list.  The Tiger data is rather a lot
though, so going from Tiger to a U.S. or World APRSdos-format map
might be a bit much.

> Huge list of GIS tools and such, also has format descriptions:
> http://www.grime.net/gistools/
>
> Looks like this may be a good converter, but I've not D/L'ed yet:
> http://grass.baylor.edu//

GRASS is a full-blown GIS package.  Gerry Creager, Tom Russo (and
others) know about this package.  I think it was done by Army Corps
of Engineers originally?

I suppose with a bit of work someone could snag the Xastir map
modules for Shapefiles and APRSdos files and create a converter,
either standalone or within Xastir itself.