[Xastir] 2004 Tiger Files

Dan Brown brown at brauhaus.org
Sun Feb 27 07:26:56 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > Yes.  When they were originally processed the ogr2ogr program
> > couldn't do polygons.  We had no way to process the polygons into
> > shapefiles.
> >
> > Tom Russo hacked on a script that came with Shapelib and created
> > Xastir_tigerpoly.py, which processes all of the polygons, then came
> > out with a dbfawk file that worked with it as I recall.  We should
> > be able to process everything all at once this year so that the
> > polygons are available right out of the gate.
>
> The batch is running reliably at this point, and I think I can rerun the
> whole country in maybe 8 hours. Someone want to check a sample
> http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/www/PA_Allegheny_County.zip and see if it
> looks right?

Seems to work fine, here.  Some of the street names are a bit hard to read
though, even at close in zooms - lots of jaggies and odd angles.  Is there
anything I can do to adjust that on my end?  I know the angles aren't
probably going to get adjusted, unless someone finds a way to line up and
straighten out the three rivers there.  ;-)

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org