[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 2 01:37:49 EST 2005

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Curt Mills wrote:

> We've discussed in the past the option of splitting up the existing
> code so that we had a data storage piece (eventually turning into an
> SQL database perhaps?), a long-running daemon that talked to the
> interfaces/data storage, and multiple user interface pieces.
> Something like:
>

> CORE:
> -----
>     xastird (interface daemon)
>         xastird-config (GUI or text)
>
>     xastirDS (data store daemon)
>         xastirDS-config (GUI or text)
>         xastirDS-map-import (GUI or text)
>         xastirDS-map-export (GUI or text)
>
> CLIENTS:
> --------
>     xastirMsg (GUI or text) bulletins, messages, group messages
>     xastirMap (GUI)

Perhaps we should add "Xastir" to the mix:  A master control program
that makes sure the others are started up in sequence, bringing up
config dialogs for each in turn if they haven't been configured yet.
That program could be a script (non-GUI), Perl/Tk, or some other
low-end GUI that would run on all platforms.

The default if all "Ok" buttons are pressed during the configure
stage for each would bring up an xastirMap client after starting
xastirDS and xastird, so it would appear to be very similar to the
current Xastir monolithic program.  An "Xastir" icon would be
present that would allow bringing up additional xastirMsg and
xastirMap clients, and allow bringing up the various config pieces.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer