[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

Jeff Barlow Jeff at WB6CSV.net
Sun Jan 2 17:39:28 EST 2005

Curt Mills <archer at eskimo.com>  wrote:

>I proposed that we switch to an object-oriented language several
>years ago and it fell on deaf ears... Nearly any object-oriented
>language would be better than what we're using now.
>
>As far as cross-platform GUI toolkits, the current choices would be
>Java, Gtk, Qt, or WxWidgets (or whatever they're calling it now)....

I've been mostly a lurker here for quite a while. I feel some need to
put in my two cents worth on this rewrite / refactor idea. It clearly
needs to be done. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Alas,
I have no time to help at the moment.

I suggest you look into the GTK+ toolkit. I has matured a lot recently.
I believe it has some support for Windows and none of the licensing
issues that encumber Qt. It's heavily supported by both Red Hat and
Novell.

It now has language bindings for C++, Python, Perl, etc. See:
<http://www.gtk.org/bindings.html> The C++ bindings
<http://www.gtkmm.org/> are quite robust. Also, there is a framework for
creating C++ apps called Bakery <http://bakery.sourceforge.net/> that
looks promising.