[Xastir] GNIS Labels ?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Sun Jan 2 09:44:17 EST 2005

On Sun, January 2, 2005 12:58 am, Curt Mills said:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, William McKeehan wrote:
>
>> This would probably make Xastir a little more complex - especially for the
>> windows crowd that are unfamiliar with the concept of a core daemon with
>> multiple clients. I run Xastir on both Linux and Windows.
>
> It doesn't have to make it more complex for the user.  You could
> start one application that looks through a config file and starts up
> the other pieces in sequence unbeknownst to the operator.  The
> operator would still think they had a single application running.
> This is common in the Windows world.  This could be the default
> configuration.  As the user got more sophisticated they'd have more
> capability they could draw from.

I like this idea - especially for the Windows side of things.

>> You may investigate the plug-in method that UI-View uses, if Xastir is split
>> up, it may be able to have something similar.
>
> I was thinking about it from a distributed Unix perspective, where
> each piece does a small number of functions and does them well, plus
> you don't have to have a GUI client up and running to have an APRS
> system on the air and collecting data.  It would be nothing like an
> application with plug-ins.

I was thinking that the mapping client would be able to take advantage of a
plug-in type architecture. I completely agree with your other ideas about
splitting out the functionality.

The one thing that I would like to avoid is the need for the clients to have
to understand the APRS packets. This would give you the most flexability, but
I think a lot would be lost. I would like to see an object model that would
let the clients communicates with the "core" using higher level objects like
Stations with a variety of attributes.

If you adopt an object-oriented approach, you may consider an "object"
database as opposed to a SQL database.

Just some more to think about.

--
William McKeehan