[Xastir] Intermittent internet connection

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Mon Jan 3 12:31:41 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Matt Werner wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:42:12 -0600
> From: Matt Werner <kb0kqa at gmail.com>
> To: Stuart L. Morris <yahoo at crossover.uk.com>
> Cc: xastir at xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Intermittent internet connection
>
> Why not connect to a port on an igate that is for incoming data only,
> that way you never receive data from the igate, you just send it to
> the igate?
>
> I know there are ports for such a purpose - I just don't remember what
> they are.  Maybe someone else does here otherwise I would try asking
> on the aprssig.

The ports I've used seem send an ident message about every 30 seconds -
check the Xastir's "incoming data" while you're connected to one.  YMMV, of
course.

Next, Xastir, when you check the "reconnect on net failure" box will retry
opening and maintaining a connection - which would of course bring up the
Dial on Demand PPP interface.  It looks like, from the following code in
main.c, the check happens once a minute, and the check is done by the
"check_ports" function from interface.c:

    if(sec_now() > net_next_time) {
       net_last_time = sec_now();
       net_next_time = net_last_time + 60;    // Check every minute
       //net_next_time = net_last_time + 30;   // This statement is for debug
       //fprintf(stderr,"Checking for reconnects\n");
          check_ports();

At any rate, and this is largely just unsubstantiated conjecture, as it is
sorta against the "shows current status" mantra for APRS, it may be
difficult to find/implement this sort of "store up data to send later"
feature in any APRS context - without writing new code. I'll leave the
debate over whether or not it is a good/useful idea to others.

73
N8YSZ.

--
Dan Brown