[Xastir] Smart RELAY digipeating

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Tue Jan 4 08:06:44 EST 2005

This one slipped past me..

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Henk de Groot wrote:
>>problem. Just make sure that Persist is set so that is doesn't postpone
>>transmissions (255 on normal TNC's, 0 on Kenwoods and maybe Alinco's). So
>>you receive, process and queue and when the channel is clear immediately
>>throw out the packet. Both Xastir and the Digi will assess that the channel
>
> There'd need to be some quick tests to make sure that Xastir would
> not wait a second or two to actually send it out.  There are various
> timers internal to Xastir for triggering various sub-systems, and
> they might need some tweaking along with the KISS settings in order
> to get this to play the way you want it to.  Seems workable though.

Still I'm a bit sceptical about this everyone-transmits-at-the-same-time
approach when there are stations involved that don't use the digipeating
functions of a conventional TNC. I have mine in KISS mode so some delay
is added from the serial communications (both ways) and from the
processing occurring on the computer. When the packet gets back to the
TNC from the computer to be digipeated, the channel is probably already
occupied from the digipeats by other stations. But I'm not saying it
can't work..

   Tapio