[Xastir] Need direction to use CVS

JR kd1yv at arrl.net
Tue Jan 4 15:46:07 EST 2005

Curt Mills wrote:

>You're going about it the hard way.  It's easier than that.  Look at
>the README.CVS file or the CVS page in the Xastir SourceForge web
>pages.  There are two long lines that you need to type in.  The
>first sets up a blank password for the anon CVS server.  The second
>snags ALL of the latest sources from the anon CVS server and puts
>them on your computer.  It'll even create a subdirectory called
>"xastir" below where you run the command.
>
>For example, I'd do something like this:
>

>    cd  (takes me to my home directory)
>    mkdir src
>    cd src
>    cvs blah blah blah (create empty password/login)
>    cvs blah blah blah (snags down sources)
>    cd xastir
>    ./update-xastir
>

>The two cvs lines are long, and if you're following the SourceForge
>CVS instructions, replace the word "module" with "xastir".
>
>Any time after that, you can do this:
>

>    cd ~/src/xastir
>    ./update-xastir
>

>And you'll snag down the latest changes by the developers and
>configure/compile/install the new version.  Do this once a day or so
>and you'll almost keep up with the developers.
>
>Note that you'll need to set up the /etc/sudoers file as mentioned
>in the docs in order to actually complete the portions of
>update-xastir that normally require root privileges.  If you don't
>want to go through that trouble, you can do the make install/chmod
>portions yourself as root.

Turned out that I had to install cvs, then autoconf, then automake.
Finally got it going this morning.

Now the screen prints and snapshots work perfectly.  Thanks to you,
Curt, and to Tom for all of the assistance.

If I can be of any assistance on the project, just ask.  I know a bit
about C, and less about scripts, but if you have anything fairly
mundane, I'd be happy to take a crack at it.

--
73 de Jim, KD1YV
Jacquie's Movie Picks and Reviews updated as of 15 Dec. 2004 http://pages.cthome.net/kd1yv/