[Xastir] Need direction to use CVS

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 4 02:14:41 EST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, JR wrote:

> OK, now I am trying to install the fix for the xmp in maps.c.  I've never used
> the CVS before, only the stable distributions.  I thought that I had a clue,
> but now I need to buy one.  Here's a quarter.
>
> Here is what I have done so far.  All from sourceforge.net
>
> Downloaded and tar unzipped xastir-development 1.4.2 dtd 15 Dec 2004.
> From [cvs]/xastir/xastir/src downloaded maps.c and replaced version in my
> xastir-1.4.2/src library.
>
> Configure ran good, but I got a compile error in the make step:
> maps.o(.text+0x7299): In function `map_indexer':
> : undefined reference to `clear_dbfawk_sigs'
>
> Downloaded the updated versions from the cvs of dbfawk.c and maps.h.  Tried
> the make again, still the same errors.
>
> What have I missed?  How would I know from the cvs (or elsewhere) what I have
> missed (so that next time I won't have to ask this kind of question)?

You're going about it the hard way.  It's easier than that.  Look at
the README.CVS file or the CVS page in the Xastir SourceForge web
pages.  There are two long lines that you need to type in.  The
first sets up a blank password for the anon CVS server.  The second
snags ALL of the latest sources from the anon CVS server and puts
them on your computer.  It'll even create a subdirectory called
"xastir" below where you run the command.

For example, I'd do something like this:

    cd  (takes me to my home directory)
    mkdir src
    cd src
    cvs blah blah blah (create empty password/login)
    cvs blah blah blah (snags down sources)
    cd xastir
    ./update-xastir

The two cvs lines are long, and if you're following the SourceForge
CVS instructions, replace the word "module" with "xastir".

Any time after that, you can do this:

    cd ~/src/xastir
    ./update-xastir

And you'll snag down the latest changes by the developers and
configure/compile/install the new version.  Do this once a day or so
and you'll almost keep up with the developers.

Note that you'll need to set up the /etc/sudoers file as mentioned
in the docs in order to actually complete the portions of
update-xastir that normally require root privileges.  If you don't
want to go through that trouble, you can do the make install/chmod
portions yourself as root.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer