[Xastir] why isn't GNIS in maps directory?

Dan Brown brown at brauhausdc.org
Wed Jan 5 11:28:42 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Jason Winningham wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:16:38 -0600
> From: Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] why isn't GNIS in maps directory?
>

> On Jan 5, 2005, at 10:09 AM, Dan Brown wrote:
>
>> Make a symlink:
>
> I know how to get around it (read README.MAPS), I just don't understand why I
> need to.

Sorry, I fired that off kinda quick, and I don't have a very good answer
for your question.  I do sorta think that the symlink should be a default,
rather than something users add after the fact.

One thing I'd like to change/get changed at some point would be to have
some intelligence about which GNIS file gets searched - eg, if you're
looking for something in MO, and you have a MO.gnis file, then xastir
should at least make an attempt to search that.  Either that, or have an
option to search ALL of the available GNIS files, rather than state by
state.  Another potential feature...  integrate automated GNIS file
downloads ala scripts/get-gnis into the search feature.

73, N8YSZ (sorry to be so yappy today)

--
Dan Brown
brown at brauhausdc.org