[Xastir] MGRS/Maidenhead grid squares.

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 7 22:10:57 EST 2005

> Could be, if they are 1km square and match up to the UTM grids.
> MGRS is Military Grid Reference System.  I know for sure what
> that is 'cuz I added that feature to Xastir.

I'll believe you on the UTM side...

> The only maidenhead work that has been done in Xastir has to
> do with the maidenhead grids on the status bar.  Nobody
> looked at doing any grid lines for it.  If they happen to
> match up with one of the systems we currently have, fine, but
> it would have been an accident.

Well add it to your list of things implemented in Xastir... The largest
squares displayed are 10 degrees high by 20 degrees wide, which where I live
equates to 'DO'. Closer in, it subdivides into 1 degree high by 2 degrees
wide... for me '33'! Zoom in more, and it breaks down into 2.5 minutes high
by 5 minutes wide, giving me the square 'im'. Stick 'em all together and I'm
in DO33im. Right where I'm supposed to be!

The grid lines fall exactly where they should to outline the Maidenhead grid
squares...

James
VE6SRV

>From http://www.arrl.org/files/contests/ln9404.pdf

Each grid
square measures 1° latitude by 2° longitude
and measures approximately 70 * 100 miles
in the continental US. A grid square is indicated
by two letters (the field) and two numbers
(the square). Each subsquare is designated
by the addition of two letters after the
grid square. These more precise locators are
used as part of the exchange in the 10-GHz
contest. They measure 2.5 minutes latitude
by 5 minutes longitude, roughly corresponding
to 3 * 4 miles in the continental US.