[Xastir] MGRS/Maidenhead grid squares.

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 6 23:54:43 EST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> You were wrong about showing MGRS grids... but then I was also wrong about
> Maidenhead grids... I went looking to figure out what size the MGRS squares
> were, and if they happened to match up with Maidenhead grid squares. The
> grids I was seeing on my screen matched to Maidenhead grid squares
> perfectly.

Could be, if they are 1km square and match up to the UTM grids.
MGRS is Military Grid Reference System.  I know for sure what that
is 'cuz I added that feature to Xastir.

> Well, it turns out that I'm pretty sure what I see are the Maidenhead grid
> outlines, and what you see are the MGRS/UTM outlines. When you change
> coordinate systems, different grid outlines appear. Since I'm in lat/long, I
> get Maidenhead grids. Since you're a SAR UTM guy (presumably) you're seeing
> UTM/MGRS grids...
>
> It's the best of both worlds. I'd still like to see a grid square label in
> the middle of the grid, but it's simply a matter of making a map layer that
> has the labels in the data!

And you might as well just create a grid system to go with the
labels and call it a map!

The only maidenhead work that has been done in Xastir has to do with
the maidenhead grids on the status bar.  Nobody looked at doing any
grid lines for it.  If they happen to match up with one of the
systems we currently have, fine, but it would have been an accident.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer