[Xastir] MGRS/Maidenhead grid squares.

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 6 22:36:16 EST 2005

Hey Curt,

You were wrong about showing MGRS grids... but then I was also wrong about
Maidenhead grids... I went looking to figure out what size the MGRS squares
were, and if they happened to match up with Maidenhead grid squares. The
grids I was seeing on my screen matched to Maidenhead grid squares
perfectly.

Well, it turns out that I'm pretty sure what I see are the Maidenhead grid
outlines, and what you see are the MGRS/UTM outlines. When you change
coordinate systems, different grid outlines appear. Since I'm in lat/long, I
get Maidenhead grids. Since you're a SAR UTM guy (presumably) you're seeing
UTM/MGRS grids...

It's the best of both worlds. I'd still like to see a grid square label in
the middle of the grid, but it's simply a matter of making a map layer that
has the labels in the data!

James