[Xastir] Xastir 1.4.0 Help

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 6 19:28:57 EST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Ian A Bultitude wrote:

> 1/ I have no maps displayed apart from the world and only then on
> 10000Km range. Note I am from the UK and would like UK maps)

You can use dosAPRS, WinAPRS, PocketAPRS, and UI-View maps in
Xastir.  Search for some of those and you should find enough to get
started.  For the UI-View maps you'll need to have ImageMagick
support compiled into Xastir.

> 2/ The text at the bottom of the window does not refresh but gets
> over written and is not readable.

That can happen if you're using the lesstif and lesstif-devel
libraries instead of OpenMotif.  Try removing the lesstif-devel
package and installing openmotif-devel instead, then
reconfigure/recompile/reinstall Xastir.

> 3/ If I start from a terminal window I many errors saying unable
> to download map data (I forget exact message). What is it
> downloading, Where is it downloading from and on what port? This
> may be due to a firewall issue but I have no information.

More than likely you have automaps on, or have selected some of the
online maps in the Map Chooser.  You can turn off automaps and clear
all map selections in the map chooser and you should stop seeing
these messages.

Note that you have to have either libcurl or wget installed on your
system to be able to use the online maps.  The online maps we
currently support only include the U.S. and Canada, so they won't do
you a lot of good anyway.

Keep asking questions as you get further along.  We'll try to help.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer