[Xastir] UDP frames

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Jan 11 00:14:30 EST 2005

Alan Crosswell wrote:
> Bill Vodall wrote:
>> Hmmm.   Taking this a bit further.  Won't an 802.11x device have to be
>> in ESS (peer-to-peer mode) instead of IBSS (controlled by an Access
>> Point)
>> before it can pick up raw UDP packets?    This shouldn't be hard to
>> test..
>
> Nope.  UDP is just UDP.  What the infrastructure (or lack thereof) does
> is irrelevant.  Think of it as working simplex (ESS) vs. working via a
> repeater/digipeater (IBSS) is all.

Except that if your 802.11b card is blasting away UDP packets in ad-hoc
mode with the 'ssid' set to "abcd" and my 802.11b card is sitting next
to it in ad-hoc mode with the 'ssid' set to "wxyz", my card doesn't hear
anything from yours. So there has to be some amount of coordination.
It's obviously not the same as AP association, but it's similar. Kismet,
the 802.11 sniffer requires that your wireless card driver allows the
card to be put in 'rfmon' mode, which is like promiscuous mode for wired
ethernet. There has to be some kind of 'association' using the ssid or
you have the equivalent of an ethernet card with no cable plugged in.

Now, if we could get a wedge program that would turn on rfmon mode in
the wireless driver, then we could have a 1-to-1 equivalent with
AX.25/APRS...

-Lance