[Xastir] UDP frames

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Tue Jan 11 11:56:45 EST 2005

802.11b mac layer is not ax.25. In fact, lots of nice little bells and
whistles we should take advantage of.

Default mode of 802.11b clients is to do a active scan of the channels,
seeking a specific SSID (or in the case of 'all', any ssid). So channel is
almost irrevelent in the case of AP's (BSS).

Consider WRT54G's for your AP's. Not the best, but certainly one of the
most flexiable (run open source linux) and very cheap (street price
$55-65).

Since we are doing low bandwidth applications such as APRS, "store and
forward" will not make large demands on the throughput. The WRT54's (and
many other) AP's support WDS (Wireless Distribution System) mode, which is
a crude form of mesh networking. So, you'd have one connected AP, and then
sprinkle WDS enabled AP's along your proposed route. And remember, the WDS
enabled AP only needs power.