[Xastir] UDP frames

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:05:31 EST 2005

Andreas Junge, N6NU wrote:
> Do you really have an IP address when roaming around?
Do you care?  You are ID'd within the application layer.

> If yes, does it have to be hard- coded?
>
> Are we going to re-use the good old AMPRNET 44.xx.xx.xx ?
Heck no.

> Are we going to use IPv6 ?
Yes!  And, analagous to EUI-64 (where some portion of the upper 64 bits of the
address are advertised by the router and the lower 64 bits are derived from the
Ethernet MAC address) derive the lower 64 bits from the callsign.  This is
EUI-64 stateless autoconfiguration (RFC2464,
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2464.html).  Similarly to use of EUI-64, one could
statically configure the address with the callsign and enough bits left over for
2^16 substation IDs vs. the 16 you get with AX.25 (can't say SSID in this
context:-).  No more ARP or DHCP!  Adhoc v6 WLANs will just work with v6 addresses.
/a