[Xastir] Snapshot

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 19 16:27:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> I have the Toporama 50k image with a raster image on top of that, then a
> couple shapefile layers on top of that.
>
> In that configuration, I get these errors.:
>
> convert: Improper image header `/home/jewen/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm'.
> convert: missing an image filename `/home/jewen/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png'.
> System call return error: convert: /home/jewen/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm ->
> /home/jewen/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png
>
> However, curl timed out, and I lost the Toporama 50k layer. Poof, I now have
> a snapshot of the screen.

Ok, you're trying to fetch online maps (over a slow link perhaps?)
plus do snapshots.  Since those are all done in the same thread,
there shouldn't be any timing problems here.

> It appears that convert is having an issue with the image header in the XPM
> file. Why would having the Toporama 50k layer on screen cause a problem in
> creating the XPM file?

About the only thing I can think of might be the colors?
Color-depth?  It's possible that the XpmWriteFileFromPixmap() call
is having problems either due to your X-Windows server color depth
or your Windows color depth.  There are a couple of outstanding bugs
on the buglist regarding colordepth.  One is a 24-bit bug, one a
32-bit bug.  I run in 16-bit myself (Linux).  Perhaps you could
check your colordepths for both X11 and Windows and report back?

> I just turned on the Toporama 250k layer instead of the 50k layer, and I am
> now getting the same error.
>
> I tried getting a really busy map in the USA, and making a snapshot of it. A
> simple Tigermap screen worked, but when I asked for all online maps, and
> then a snapshot I managed to kill Xastir. I don't know if this is
> coincidence or not.
>
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x56a3b7)!
> X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  122 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  5678008
>
> [1]+  Exit 1                  xastir

Looks like X11 itself decided to choke.  I've had that sort of thing
happen with a lot of weather alerts, zoomed way out to US or
world-view.  That's another outstanding bug on our bug-list, but
it's an X11 bug, not an Xastir bug.  Don't know if that's the same
bug your triggered though.  Might not be.