[Xastir] Killed object reborn by xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 26 10:12:51 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> Ok, I think I've got the problem figured out now. The station that
> deleted the object sent only a kill packet, no "adoption" packet
> (identical packet with its own callsign) before that. Or maybe it sent
> an adoption packet, but my station never received it.

It's not really an adoption packet.  If Xastir sees anyone else
transmitting an object, it will cease to transmit it.

> When the kill packet was received, Xastir deleted the object from the
> map screen. But it did not touch the objects.log file, the original
> object sent by my station was still there in its original "live" form.
> My Xastir continued to send the object kill packet for a while after
> receiving the kill packet from the other station that only sent one kill
> packet. I don't known whether this is intentional or a bug, in this case
> it was good as the killing station only sent one packet and it might not
> have been heard by everyone (or maybe it stopped sending the kill packet
> because it heard my Xastir send kill packets).

That's interesting.  It shouldn't have done that, but then again the
other station should have sent a few live packets of the object
before they killed it.  I wonder if the other station might have
temporarily changed to your callsign in order to kill the object?
That could explain it.  Of course the more likely explanation is
that Xastir has a bug or two in this area.

> Then when I restarted Xastir a couple of days later, Xastir read the
> object log on startup and started sending the object as live.

Because the line didn't get marked as killed in the file.

> I glanced through the object part of the APRS pdf spec and there was no
> explicit mention on adopting an object before killing it. Is this what
> Xastir expects a "killer" to do? I wish Bob could get those errata pages
> of his wrapped into a new PDF revision.. I haven't checked the errata
> pages whether there is more information on this.

I'm not sure whether it's in the spec and/or addendum, or whether I
rounded out my opinion of object through discussions with Bob B. or
other authors.

Please file a bug report.  Provide lots of detail so the bug can be
reproduced.