[Xastir] Snapshot

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 26 14:41:25 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> Windows colour depth was at 32 bpp... changing it to 16 bpp caused this
> error:
>
> Warning:
>     Name: File Tear-off
>     Class: TransientShell
>     /home/harold/x-devel/4.3/ports/lesstif/lesstif-0.93.94/lib/Xm-2.1/RowColumn.c(3538):_XmMenuFocus()
>  - XmMENU_FOCUS_RESTORE
>     window is not viewable

While X11 was running?  I suspect that the X11 server might have
difficulty switching "live".  You would probably need to close it,
switch Windows resolution, then restart X11.

> I'm still seeing the same errors as originally seen at 32 bpp. Does Xastir
> dynamically change the colour depth of the screen as required?

No, but the X11 server evidently is supposed to switch its color
depth to match Windows color depth when X11 starts up.

> Supposedly
> X11 inherits the colour depth of the Windows operating system. I have been
> unable to find a way to tell what X11 is using for a colour depth.

There is a way, can't recall what it is though.

> I don't think this is the real issue either. The png created when I am using
> only shapefiles has a colour depth of 24 bpp, with 20 colours used in the
> image. I took a snapshot of the screen with Paintshop Pro, while displaying
> the Toporama files and shapefiles. That image is still 24 bpp, but has 5629
> colours used.

We make exactly one call to the XPM library to generate the file.
It creates a disk file containing an XPM image, starting with an
in-memory pixmap.  We have no control over how the XPM image gets
created.  Perhaps there are bugs in the XPM library that you're
exercising?

> Hmm, I managed to kill Xastir yet again. this time I had a map of southern
> BC and Washington/Idaho on screen using online maps. I tried to get a
> snaphot of that screen, and poof:
>
> Map Refresh set to 720.
> curl told us 28
> curlerr is Operation timed out with 0 out of -1 bytes received
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xc92494)!
> X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  67 (X_PolyRectangle)
>   Resource id in failed request:  0x88854e
>   Serial number of failed request:  13182101
>
> Hee, hee, I'm getting good at killing things...

Why is that?

I'm not seeing these types of errors on my Linux boxes, so I don't
know if you're finding problems specific to your systems or problems
specific to Cygwin/Windows.  Anyone else seeing such problems?