[Xastir] NOS maps with Xastir

Jason & Kim Conolly conolly at ieee.org
Wed Jun 1 22:21:48 EDT 2005

Hello!

I am trying to read a NOS map from SoftChart into Xastir.  I am
currently using Xastir 1.4.2, with GDAL support compiled in (GDAL
version 1.2.4.0).

The GDAL file compatability lists NOS as a subset of BSB.  (See excerpt
below from RemoteSensing.org's GDAL format list).

However, I cannot get Xastir to index the .NOS map (now in my Xastir
maps folder).  I'm wondering if there is a requirement for a specific
file extension to get Xastir to recognize it (ala .S57) or possibly
something else going on.  Ideas?

Thank you,
Jason / N7IME

    BSB -- Maptech/NOAA BSB Nautical Chart Format

BSB Nautical Chart format is supported for read access, including
reading the colour table and the reference points (as GCPs). Note that
the .BSB files cannot be selected directly. Instead select the .KAP
files. Versions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 have been tested successfully.

This driver should also support GEO/NOS format as supplied by Softchart.
These files normally have the extension .nos with associated .geo files
containing georeferencing ... the .geo files are currently ignored.

This driver is based on work by Mike Higgins. See the
frmts/bsb/bsb_read.c files for details on patents affecting BSB format.

NOTE: Implemented as gdal/frmts/bsb/bsbdataset.cpp.