[Xastir] Initial maps for Xastir????????????

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Jun 6 12:39:50 EDT 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, David Boswell wrote:

> where do I find maps for xastir...........????
>
> how do you load them????????

Just answered you on the APRSSIG mailing list, and told you to go to
the Xastir lists.  hi hi

Basically my advice was to look at the README.MAPS file and the Map
Pointers link from the Xastir homepage.

The way to "load" them is to put them under the
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory somewhere.  Create
subdirectories at will in order to organize them in a manner that
makes sense to you.

Make sure the permissions on the directories are set to something
like 755, and the map files are set to 744 or so.  That will let a
normal user change into the directories and read the files, but not
write them.

After you put them there, make sure you have Xastir set up with the
proper extra libraries to read them, then you can start up Xastir
and reindex your maps.

Be aware that the "reindex new maps" option compares timestamps on
the map files against the timestamp on the map index file, so if you
managed to copy map files in there with old timestamps you'll have
to either "touch" the map files or do a "reindex all".