[Xastir] rtree purge

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Mar 1 17:52:43 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:47:37PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:43:04PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> > I have found that the rtree stuff makes map redraw much faster on the machines
> > that I use while consuming a minimal amount of additional memory.
> >
> > I often leave the machine alone for over an hour, then go back to it and begin
> > to move around. When I wait, it takes forever the first time the maps redraw.
> >
> > So I thought I would change the code to leave the rtree indexes stuff around
> > forever. I found the line:
> >
> > purge_shp_hash();
> >
> > in main.c and thought that commenting it out would give me the results that I
> > wanted, but it still appears to purge old indexes.
> >
> > Is there an easy way that I can modify the code to make rtree leave it's
> > indexes around?
>
> Um... yeah, you should be able to do that by commenting out "purge_shp_hash();"
> I'll have to look to see why that's not enough.

The only code in shp_hash.c that clobbers the rtrees is in purge_shp_hash.
purge_shp_hash should only be called by main.c's UpdateTime function.

If you comment out the purge_shp_hash call, it is not possible for the rtrees
to be getting purged.  I can't explain the behavior your describing.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."