[Xastir] network cygwin install

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 2 11:51:17 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:28:19AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Tapio Sokura wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see geotiff-support as well. I've used it in xastir running
> > in cygwin and it works fine. The geotiff-packages are available in
> > compiled form via the cygwin installer (libgeotiff*).
>
> I was thinking that the geotiff stuff was more US-centric, but if
> it's easy to add in Cygwin, then libproj and libgeotiff are a
> no-brainer.
>

> > Oh yeah, someone could also remove those
> >
> > "Warning: no PCS in geotiff file mymap.tif, assuming map is in lat/lon!"
> >
> > warnings from stdout/stderr when using unprojected geotiffs that are in
> > WGS-84. Or is there a better way to get rid of this error?
>
> Use geoTIFF's that have a PCS field in them?  Add it to the files
> using some of the free tools?

No, that's not the solution.  This warning is a holdover from when that code
was still experimental (I added it).  GeoTIFFs in unprojected lat/lon
have no PCS (Projected Coordinate System).  Prior to my fixing map_tif.c
so that it would handle maps that are in unprojected lat/lon, having no
PCS was a fatal error.  Now, having no PCS means that the map is assumed
to be in unprojected lat/lon.

For the record, Xastir doesn't actually handle projected GeoTiffs perfectly
correctly --- it's good enough for UTM maps on the scale of a 7.5 minute quad,
but not for anything significantly larger.  That's why I changed map_tif
to handle unprojected rasters --- one can take a large geotiff in any projection
and gdalwarp it into unprojected lat/lon, and then xastir will actually
display it properly without georeferencing errors or the excessive time
it would take to do the real transformation.

I can comment out the warning.  I'll commit that in a few seconds.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."