[Xastir] network cygwin install

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 2 11:57:49 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Tom Russo wrote:

> No, that's not the solution.  This warning is a holdover from when that code
> was still experimental (I added it).  GeoTIFFs in unprojected lat/lon
> have no PCS (Projected Coordinate System).  Prior to my fixing map_tif.c
> so that it would handle maps that are in unprojected lat/lon, having no
> PCS was a fatal error.  Now, having no PCS means that the map is assumed
> to be in unprojected lat/lon.
>
> For the record, Xastir doesn't actually handle projected GeoTiffs perfectly
> correctly --- it's good enough for UTM maps on the scale of a 7.5 minute quad,
> but not for anything significantly larger.

Yea, I wrote that code.  I was only interested at the time in
getting the 7.5 minute quads registered properly.  I did a few
tricks to make that possible without getting into serious
arithmetic or map warping.  Speed was important to me.

Nowadays it could all be re-written to use the GDAL code, then we
could handle quite a few more types of maps and projections and
handle them correctly.

> That's why I changed map_tif
> to handle unprojected rasters --- one can take a large geotiff in any projection
> and gdalwarp it into unprojected lat/lon, and then xastir will actually
> display it properly without georeferencing errors or the excessive time
> it would take to do the real transformation.
>
> I can comment out the warning.  I'll commit that in a few seconds.

Great.  Thanks!