[Xastir] What all is needed to compile.

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 2 16:32:48 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, George Shaw wrote:

> Yes I have read the instructions but I have a few questions.
>
> What is a full requirement for a full install of xastir on a Mandrake 10.1
> system? I have installed (I think) a copy of Image Magick but when I run
> configure I get that it cant find the include files yet it runs fine, is
> there a development version and if yes where is it?

What runs fine, Xastir or ImageMagick?

ImageMagick and anything that is already pre-compiled to use its
libraries should run just fine.

Xastir, without ImageMagick support, will run just fine.  You just
won't have access to some image-map stuff.

In order to compile NEW programs which use the ImageMagick
libraries, you must have the ImageMagick header files installed (*.h
files), else the compiler doesn't know how to compile in support for
the library.  On SuSE linux it's called "ImageMagick-devel", whereas
the ImageMagick libraries and executables are called "ImageMagick".
If you have ImageMagick installed but not the devel package, Xastir
won't be able to compile in support for it.

Sorry, I don't know what the packages are called in Mandrake.

One caveat:  Even after you get the ImageMagick header files
installed, Xastir's "configure" script may still choke on it.  This
is usually caused by additional dependencies that ImageMagick itself
needs (not Xastir) has which haven't been installed yet.  If you get
to that stage, you're making progress, so don't give up.  You/we
might just have to look at your config.log file to see what else
you'll need.

This problem is due to the package maintainers not including that
list of dependencies in the RPM file.  Xastir's configure script
catches that problem by trying to compile a test executable that
uses the library.  If it can't compile it, Xastir won't be able to
either.

Hope that all makes sense.  I get tired of saying it.  It's a common
problem.