[Xastir] Imagemagick

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Mar 4 17:38:16 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:45:21PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, George Shaw wrote:
>
> > Building with ImageMagick ......... :
> > /home/gshaw/Apps/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-6.2.0
>
> It is certainly possible that Xastir doesn't handle non-standard
> locations for this particular library.

Here's the problem.  Configure.ac is handling the use of --with-imagemagick
in an unusual way.  Here's what it does:

# Check for ImageMagick.  This check is VERY important to have as
# the last check, as it messes up the previous checks if it fails.
use_imagemagick=yes
AC_ARG_WITH(imagemagick,[  --without-imagemagick       Disable imagemagick featu
res.],use_imagemagick=$withval)
if test "${use_imagemagick}" = "yes"; then
  XASTIR_CHECK_IMAGEMAGICK
fi

But in George's case, "use_imagemagick" is
"/home/gshaw/Apps/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-6.2.0" not "yes", so configure
doesn't even probe for imagemagick.

In standard usage, "--with-foo" is supposed to be used the way George has,
to tell configure what path to use to search for foo.  But xastir's
configure uses "--with" interchangably with "--enable", a binary on/off
switch, and in few cases actually uses the path provided properly.

Thing is, configure's macro to detect imagemagick doesn't use any command-line
specificed path at all to search for it --- it runs "Magick-config", and
queries what -I, -L flags it should use, and what CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS
should be defined.  The problem here is that configure doesn't see Magick-config
anywhere because the install directory is apparently not in the executable
search PATH.

So it should be possible for George to get ImageMagick found by:
  a) installing in a standard location
or
   b) installing in a nonstandard path, but adding the path to "Magick-config"
     into his PATH variable so that xastir can run it and detect IM.
AND
  removing "--with-imagemagick=PATH" from the configure line

At some point we should go through configure.ac and fix the "--with-" and
"--enable" issue --- "--with-" should only be used to help configure locate
external libraries and headers, and "--enable-" should be used to turn on and
off features.

-
Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."