[Xastir] messaging

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 5 13:40:36 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> > Hey how the heck do you drive xastir messaging ?
>
> You have to learn to do things the way Curt thinks...

Huh?  I didn't create the messaging how it stands now.  I suppose
that would have been Frank's creation.  I've revised it a couple of
times, but I haven't changed the basic structure.

> > Am i missing something or does this need some work ?
>
> I'd like to see it done differently. I'm just happy that the map selection
> dialog got changed, and the message timing is a little less aggressive than it
> once was.

Here's the deal:  I'm not aware of any of the current set of
developers that wish to focus their energy on messaging right now.
I worked on it back in december because I was using messaging more
and wanted it to work a bit better.  In its current incarnation it
serves my needs quite nicely.  Yea, there are improvements I have
thought of, but they're not important enough to me right now to
implement.

Anyone wanting to revise the messaging system (or anything else in
Xastir for that matter):  Notify the list that you want to work on
that part of it.  Run through the bug-list and the RFE list to make
sure you have an idea of what's been requested before.  Start a
design discussion so that you don't head down the wrong path (make
something everybody will want and that the developers will accept).
Code it up and send us some patches once it starts working.

We've accepted all kinds of patches and bug-fixes from users in the
past.  ALL of the current developers started out as Xastir users.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer