[Xastir] Compile question

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Mar 9 17:38:27 EST 2005

I'll echo the "dual boot is a pain" sentiment.

If you _really_ need both OSes on one box, take a look at VMWare, or
some other virtual machine package.  You can run both OSes at the same
time, share disk space more effectively, etc.

Or, maybe, come up with a CD/DVD to boot the alternate OS, and use the
hard disk for read-write storage? This is on my wish list.

If you have a dual boot machine, you're always in the wrong OS...

I wasted several weeks of my life coming up with a working dual-boot
configuration because the customer insisted they needed it.  Turns out
it was such a pain to save all data, stop the engineering application,
shut down unix, boot into windows, log in, run exchange to read email,
shut down again, boot unix, start the engineering app, check out the
file again, resume working, etc ad nauseam, that nobody really used
both OSes.

My favorite part was the Windows NT4 bootloader documentation that said
it could be used to boot "any OS".  Days of trying and digging later, I
found an appendix in some manual that said it like this: the NT4
bootloader can "boot any OS: DOS, 95, or NT".   :|

enough OT ranting, but you may begin to see why I hate windows. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv