[Xastir] Compile question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Mar 9 17:09:36 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:38:20PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wa7nwp at jnos.org> flavor, containing:

> > I have Xastir on 2 computers running on MEPIS
>
> Yes - you can compile Xastir on one system and move the executable to the
> other.  You only need the compile environment on one system.

I think an important caveat here is that both systems must have the appropriate
shared libraries.  I believe most of the libraries xastir uses are linked in
dynamically.  Not sure if that's true on cygwin, but it sure is on the
other systems I know about.

That means that it would be enough to have the "development" versions of
libraries with headers only on the machine that is used to compile xastir, but
only the shared libraries themselves on the other.

Use "ldd" on the xastir executable to see what shared libraries it needs.

If you choose to blow away your linux partition (I'd go the other direction
myself), make sure that your "run-only" machine has the appropriate cygwin
packages installed to get the shared libraries (libgeotiff, libshape, etc.,
but not libgeotif-devel, or whatever).  Or does the cygwin build even use
shared libraries for these?

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "When life gives you lemons, find someone with a paper cut."