[Xastir] Topographic Maps for Tennessee ?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Mar 11 07:35:01 EST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:17 PM, William McKeehan wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a source for downloadable topo maps for east
> tennessee
> to be used with Xastir?

I haven't been able to find any.

I think TVA is a big part of the problem.  They are recognized as the
official source for map data in the areas they serve, not the USGS.

You can download tiffs from the TVA online "store", but they are not
standard geotiffs that xastir can read.  It may be possible to just
convert thee to standard bitmaps and register 4 corners, but I did not
try this.  I seem to recall problems being related to a state
projection? Note the download option at the TVA onine map store looks
like you're going to be charged for the maps, but you actually get them
for free if you keep working your way through the process.  (This TVA
info is a year or so old.)

The USGS DLG/SDTS contour data is very incomplete for TN, probably due
to the TVA vs USGS thing.

The short answer is: I couldn't find any, and I would be interested in
anything you found.

-Jason
kg4wsv