[Xastir] Clarification - system requirements

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 11 18:11:26 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Bill Vodall wrote:

> I did two clean installs...
>
> Properties on c:\cygwin for the xastir-min  install show 120 MB (149 MB on Disk)
>
> Properties on c:\cygwin for xastir-devel show 365 MB (425 on Disk).
>
> The "min" install has 10,654 files..   Seems that all windowing systems have
> a bit of a software bloat problem.
>
> The XYL's 2 GHz WinXP system with 768 MB ram makes the Xastir/Cygwin
> install nearly painless.  It's fun to watch the memory used creep up to nearly 500 MB.

Question:  Is that 500MB memory needed during one of your binary
installs, or during a compile?  I'd think the binary install should
be very easy on memory.

Compiling Xastir from scratch I've installed onto NT4 with 128MB
real memory, but needed more in order to complete the last stage of
the compile after that machine was upgraded to Win2000.

Put another way, what's the minimum physical memory needed for your
binary installs (no compiling necessary)?  That and the disk space
will determine the minimal system for Xastir/Cygwin.