[Xastir] Clarification - system requirements

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Mar 11 18:20:20 EST 2005

> > Properties on c:\cygwin for the xastir-min  install show 120 MB (149 MB on Disk)
> >
> > Properties on c:\cygwin for xastir-devel show 365 MB (425 on Disk).
> >
> > The XYL's 2 GHz WinXP system with 768 MB ram makes the Xastir/Cygwin
> > install nearly painless.  It's fun to watch the memory used creep up to nearly 500 MB.
>
> Question:  Is that 500MB memory needed during one of your binary
> installs, or during a compile?  I'd think the binary install should
> be very easy on memory.
>
> Put another way, what's the minimum physical memory needed for your
> binary installs (no compiling necessary)?  That and the disk space
> will determine the minimal system for Xastir/Cygwin.

DISK SPACE needed is 150 MB for a "min" install that gives you what's needed
to run Xastir.   425 MB(+) for a full install with everything needed to compile Xastir.

The 500 MB is the system RAM used during the final link stage of a full compile.

Xastir, like everything else, continues to add features that requires more support
from the system.

Bill