[Xastir] knoppix qemu

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Mar 17 07:42:18 EST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 11:03 PM, Jason Hitesman wrote:

> That's just it though.  QEMU lets Knoppix run inside windows.

The FAQ at the qemu page says:

> Is QEMU ported to Windows ?
>  Yes, look at the documentation, but the port is in very alpha stage.

"very alpha stage" doesn't sound stable. Has anyone actually used this
on top of windows, especially for extended runs?  Can I count on it to
run 24 hours? a week?

I think a knoppix/mepis/whatever style DVD image (so we can include
some maps) that will boot on most any PC without doing an OS install is
the way to get at the windows users. Most of 'em aren't sophisticated
enough to install unix, much less unix on top of an emulator, unless we
hand them a double-clicky package that installs smoothly.

Getting a disk that I can hand to a senior EE student so they can plug
the disk in, click a couple of times, and have xastir running on
whatever x86 laptop they have in hand is one of my personal goals for
xastir. I don't particularly care if it's a unix boot disk, a canned
cygwin install, or a qemu install, as long as it's reliable and
requires minimal user interaction. Unfortunately, I don't have the time
to work on it.

-Jason
kg4wsv