[Xastir] does Xastir work with Rascal interface?

BDonnell at ar-northwest.com BDonnell at ar-northwest.com
Fri Mar 18 18:05:31 EST 2005

For some amateur modes, both the RX->TX and TX->RX timing has to be controlled pretty tightly - AMTOR and PACTOR come to mind.  A slow change from TX to RX creates a minimum distance that the other station has to be away from your station, so that your radio returns to receive by the time the beginning of his reply bits start arriving at your receiver.  If the other side of the equation, the keyup delay, is too large, then a similar limit is set on the maximum distance a station can be.  These modes were designed the propagation delay in mind.  So properly controlled T/R control has significance.

Also, depending on the TX audio level, source impedance, and the loading by the capacitor/diode combo, the audio tone could become distorted.  Not a big deal for 1k2 packet, but harmonics and distortion of the audio tone would have a very observable effect on PSK31 when those harmonics fall within the passband of the SSB filter in the transmitter.

73, Bob, KD7NM