[Xastir] Draw on maps ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 22 12:04:23 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, James Ewen wrote:

> > Not sure what's wrong there.  If I put in 1 and 1 for the offsets I
> > get a very small area object.  I go back into Object->Modify and I
> > still see 1 and 1.
>
> I put in 10 and 10 for offsets and get an object. I go back into
> Object->Modify (via right clicking on the object) and I see 9 and 9.
>
> I modify that to 20 and 20. I go back into Object->Modify (via right
> clicking on the object) and I see 16 and 16.
>
> I modify that to 30 and 30. I go back into Object->Modify (via right
> clicking on the object) and I see 25 and 25.
>
> I modify that to 20 and 10. I go back into Object->Modify (via right
> clicking on the object) and I see 16 and 9.
>
> I'm setting up a simple circle object.

Thanks for the additional info.  I had to go look in my old e-mail
to find out who wrote the quoted part at the top.  It was me!  I
think perhaps my volume of e-mail is a bit high...  ;-)

Yea.  If you look at the APRS spec for Area objects it uses the
square root of the latitude offset (in 1/100's of a degree) to
transmit out your offsets, so you have fixed offsets you can do and
we have to match one of them.  You'll notice that the number it
changes to are all squares.

So... You can set it to 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, ...