[Xastir] Draw on maps ?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Mar 23 15:44:01 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Bruce, KQ4TV wrote:

> >> A-ha! So that's why my drawing attempts failed miserably when I tried
> >> it
> >> some time ago. Well better later than never, as they say. But the
> >> reason
> >> for this posting: How difficult is it to change the CAD object colors?
> >
> > It is currently hard-coded in.  No way to change it other than
> > tweaking the code and re-compiling.
> >

> I looked in the .xastir/config/CAD_object.log after drawing in a new
> road.
> I can change the line width and see a change in the object.
> I can change the numbers in line_color and see some change, mostly in
> light blue 00000000 to Navy Blue 99999999.
> I have made several changes in line_type but see no effect.
> Is there any documentation for drawing CAD objects?
> Can they be saved as maps and change line attributes then?
> I looked through the source code but did not glean any more info.

Interesting.  I hadn't thought to hand-edit that file.  It was
specifically designed only to hold the info between Xastir sessions.

What I would suggest instead is that you compile in Shapelib
support, then:

*) Place an object or item on the map at the start location.

*) Click on the "Move" button to enter that mode, drag the object
around the map to each vertice that you need.

*) Click on Station Info, Store Track.

You'll now have a Shapefile map in your ~/.xastir/tracklogs
directory corresponding to that track.  Move it into your maps
directory, create a dbfawk file to go with it, and you'll be able to
fine-tune it to your heart's content.  You should even be able to
add attributes to the various pieces and get the displayed on the
map via dbfawk.