[Xastir] OT:audio recording software

n7ipb n7ipb at wetnet.net
Thu Mar 24 19:34:38 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:16:25 -0500, Wes Johnston wrote
> I guess this list can handle a little OT better than some others....
>
> Does anyone know of audio recording software that will record from
> two sound cards at the same time?  I was talking to a guy here at
> work this morning, and he wants to record 4 channels of audio for
> some singing his church group is doing, and it occurred to me that
> if AGWPE can monitor 2 sound cards, surely there must be a way to
> record 4 tracks of audio.  I did a quick google, and found that
> there are firewire external mixers, and $500 sound cards with
> balanced inputs, but we are just looking for the basics...

>From the FWIW department:

Since I manage the audio system for my church I guess I'm probably as
qualified as anyone to answer this. :-)

I don't know of any software that samples from two cards simultaneously.  I'm
told the main reason it isn't done is one of maintaining synchronization
between the samples from each card.  Clock differences and the resulting skew
cause audible artifacts in the recordings. I've seen all kinds of attempts at
kludging the clock signal from one card as a master for the other to get
around this.  It's not recommended.

I'm sure he'd like to have a super low cost solution but it's not easy to do.
My recommendation would be to get a  multi-channel card from M-Audio or one of
several other manufacturers.  They're not as cheap as the typical sound cards,
but the price isn't outrageously high.  I use an M-Audio 1010LT card that I
got for a round $200 to record on up to 8 analog channels.  I'm using Linux
and the Ardour digital audio workstations package. Similar software for
Windows is available and may even be included with the audio card.

Ken,  N7IPB